On Thursday, December 5th the Mansfield Township Police Department welcomed Assistant Prosecutor Brian Faulk of the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office to Homestead at Mansfield for a presentation on elder fraud. The presentation was part of a new effort by the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office and the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office to combat the growing victimization of senior citizens. The information provided aimed to expose the various tactics used by fraudsters and educate our residents on how they can protect themselves. We want to thank A.P. Faulk and BCPO for providing the information to our community.
Here are some important points to remember:
- Never give personal information over the phone, especially if they contacted you first.
- Routinely review bank statements and credit reports for unusual transactions or activity.
- If you aren’t sure a solicitation or call is legitimate, discuss it with someone you trust or contact local police.
- Stay up to date on new scams by visiting the Federal Trade Commission’s website: www.ftc.gov and the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs website: www.njconsumeraffairs.gov
- If it’s too good to be true, it probably is.