Mansfield Township Police Department will be cracking down on drunk drivers as part of the 2014 Labor Day “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” campaign. We have been awarded a grant by the New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety for increased DWI enforcement beginning August 15th through September 1st. Holiday weekends bring a surge in drunk driving. Of all traffic fatalities over the 2012 Labor Day weekend (6 p.m. Friday to 5:59 a.m. Tuesday), 38 percent involved drunk drivers. In 2013, alcohol-impaired fatalities accounted for 22 percent of New Jersey’s motor vehicle fatalities. Take action toward ensuring a safe Labor Day for you and those you care about.
Mansfield Township Police Department offers the following advice:
- If you plan to drink, designate a driver, someone who will not drink alcohol, before going out.
- Take mass transit, a taxi or ask a sober friend to drive you home.
- Spend the night where the activity is held.
- Report impaired drivers to law enforcement. In New Jersey, drivers may dial #77 to report a drunk or aggressive driver.
- Always buckle up, every ride, regardless of your seating position in the vehicle. It’s your best defense against an impaired driver.
- If you’re intoxicated and traveling on foot, the safest way to get home is to take a cab or have a sober friend or family member drive you to your doorstep.